A little bit about me.

I love tutorials. If I follow a tutorial, even if I don't do it perfectly, I always link to theirs. All photographs are mine, are never taken from the original tutorial, and are never as good as the original.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Tomato Brigade

Yesterday, I started 30 tomato plants.  Here's the breakdown:

Dwarf tomato plants (to go in greens bed and small pots)
Micro-Tom
Patio F Hybrid
Red Robin
Silvery Fir Tree (new variety this year)

Determinates (to go in large pots on patio)
Russian Persimmon
Lime Green Salad
Mountain Gold VFF
Roma VF (new variety this year)
Manitoba (new variety this year)

Indeterminates (to go in raised beds)
Cherokee Chocolate
Brandywine Sudduth's Strain
Sioux (new variety this year)
Crimson Cushion Beefsteak (from Merrifield Garden Center) (new variety this year)
Red Calabash (new variety this year)
Sun Gold Hybrid (new variety this year)

Ground Cherry / Tomatillo (not technically a tomato, but almost)
Yellow Husk Tomato (new this year)
Cossack Pineapple (new this year)

Now for the real question.  What's up with the water bottles?  Honestly, I've seen this method on several blogs and on Pinterest, but Seattle Sundries does a pretty excellent job of detailing the how-to for the DIY.  I skip the yarn step and make the hole in the bottle cap with a pair of sharp scissors (but I didn't let my kids make the hole).
The self-watering container is especially good for tomatoes because they like to have wet feet.  I keep them in dollar store tupperware until germination, then add the 'bottom' of the pot once they go under the grow lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment