A little bit about me.

I love tutorials. If I follow a tutorial, even if I don't do it perfectly, I always link to theirs. All photographs are mine, are never taken from the original tutorial, and are never as good as the original.

Monday, November 29, 2010

Baby Cardigan, completed.

Remember this project? I'm done! This baby cardigan is the first knitting project I've done that sizing actually matters, and, boy does it! I used the Drops Design pattern for the Hooded Cardigan in Eskimo, and Lion Brand Yarn Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in Fisherman. I really love the yarn, it's so thick and warm, and since the yarn was so thick it didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would. In fact, I just bought several skeins in a different color to make a blanket for my toddler's upcoming big-girl bed.

I had a few issues with the pattern, especially with some badly-translated decreases. Luckily, all of my questions had already been answered on forums at Ravelry.com, meaning it wasn't really my problem but really was an issue with the wording (whew!).

Also, a note to self, if the pattern says at the bottom 'Don't forget to make buttonholes', then really, don't forget to make the buttonholes. Although in my opinion this reminder should go at the top of the pattern, not the bottom. Because yes, I forgot to make the buttonholes. I ended up with these cute long giraffe buttons and some short peices of I-cord, making a toggle-type button. I hope it works.

Now for the sizing. I did not use the Drops yarn recommended in the pattern. However, the yarn I did use is the exact gauge as that yarn. The majority of stitches in this pattern aren't measured by number of stitches, but by the length. So I am very sure that I executed the 0-3 month sizing correctly. Since I'm due at the end of December, this sweater MIGHT fit her at the end of winter. Or over several hundred layers. But in reality it will probably fit her in the middle of June. Which makes me a little sad.

Items purchased:

3 skeins Lion Brand Yarn, Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in Fisherman (Michael's)
1 package (contains 2) giraffe buttons (JoAnne's)

Size 13 knitting needles

Items owned:

I used a thinner white yarn (Lily Sugar and Cream) to sew the seams so that they wouldn't be super bulky.

Posted by Picasa


This post will be linked at:









2 comments: