A little bit about me.

I love tutorials. If I follow a tutorial, even if I don't do it perfectly, I always link to theirs. All photographs are mine, are never taken from the original tutorial, and are never as good as the original.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Planting garlic

Here in VA we've already had our first frost, but it's still getting warm during the daytime. Which means that it's the perfect time to plant garlic!
I bought 2 heads of elephant garlic at the Merrifield Garden Center back when I bought my flower bulbs. They cost 85 cents each, and contained a lot of cloves.

Step 1: Seperate the cloves.
Step 2: If your garlic hasn't been treated for fungus, soak the cloves in 1 tablespoon of baking soda and water for about an hour. I wasn't positive if mine had been treated or not (I forgot to check) so I went ahead with the soaking anyway.

Step 3: Plant the cloves pointy-side down about 2 inches deep. I found contradictory information on how close to plant garlic in the square-foot garden I started this year, so I did two squares of 9 cloves and one square of 6 cloves. We'll call this an experiment for next year.

Step 4: Cover with about 4 inches of mulch, straw or leaves. Since my garden is still somewhat active, I didn't do this step yet. I'll put a good layer of leaves and straw on when I put the garden to bed for the winter.
Step 5: WAIT! The garlic won't be ready until early summer, around June. But there will be scapes before that, which are just awesome in pesto.

No comments:

Post a Comment