A little bit about me.

I love tutorials. If I follow a tutorial, even if I don't do it perfectly, I always link to theirs. All photographs are mine, are never taken from the original tutorial, and are never as good as the original.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

How Soccer Explains the World by Franklin Foer

OF
Book #98 for 2010 is How Soccer Explains the World by Franklin Foer. As a soccer fan, I'm not unfamiliar with the sport or how it is followed in different parts of the world. I had just never thought about it quite in this way. This book took me on a trip through soccer stadiums, taking snapshots of various clubs and their fans, showing them in all of their colors - bigoted, racist, unpredictable and either unknowing or uncaring of the true meaning of the words behind their chants.
This book is very European-centric - making little to no mention of South American soccer besides Brazil. All in all, I'd probably only recommend this to someone who already knows soccer - not the rules of play but the comraderie of the sport and the fanatacism of its fans.
3/5 stars
This book is available at: Amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment